Archbishop's cellars in Kroměříž [ Wine-cellar ]
Archbishop's cellars in Kroměříž
The history of the Archbishop's cellars is closely linked to the history of the Town of Kroměříž. The basic milestone in history was the year 1110, when the Olomouc bishop John II. purchased the then market village of Kroměříž from the margrave, Moravian Otto. Since then, the town developed under the direct influence of the Olomouc bishops.
The town was led to glory by the Olomouc bishop Bruno of Schaumburg (1241 - 1281). He raised Kroměříž to a city and built an early Gothic castle on the site of the Archbishop's palace. He surrounded the town with fortifications and founded the cathedral of St. Maurice. In 1266 he also founded the wine cellars, which were later expanded under the rule of the Czech King and Roman Emperor Charles IV. In 1345 King Charles IV. granted the cellars the right to produce mass wine.
The cellars are part of the Archbishop's palace in Kroměříž, located underground at a depth of 6.5 m. Their area is 1 030 m2 and is divided into the Upper and Lower cellar. The year-round temperature in the cellar ranges from 9°C to 11°C. It is a very suitable environment for the production of today's highest quality, purely natural wines. This production has several hundred years of tradition, and on the doorstep of the 3rd millennium, has lasted for 735 years. The cellars are also home to the oldest preserved walls of the Gothic castle, dating back to the 13th century, which are covered with layers of refined moulds. The wine matures in historical wooden casks of various sizes. The largest cask holds 19 100 litres and the oldest dates back to 1805.
The cellars are open to the public every day from 930 to 1800. Upon notice, it is possible to prepare tours of the cellars with a guide, joined with a sample of mass wines and possibly refreshments. During your visit, you may purchase all kinds of wine that we produce, also in gift packages in our store near the entrance to the wine cellars. Additional orders of wine can be ordered in writing, by telephone or fax.
We recommend taking advantage of the offer of services at our wine gallery, which is located in the ground floor of the palace, entered from the courtyard. Its opening hours are the same as those of the palace. Banquets, family and social events may be organised in the beautiful historical areas of the wine gallery year-round upon reservation.
Upon agreement, it is possible to ensure a tour of the cellars in evening hours, with relaxation and quality refreshments. If desired, it is also possible to provide musical production, catering and guides in historical costumes.
We are looking forward to your visit or business co-operation:
Arcibiskupské sklepy Kroměříž s.r.o.,
(Archbishop's Cellars Kroměříž s.r.o.)
produkce mešních vín
(Production of mass wines)
Arcibiskupské zámecké sklepy Kroměříž s.r.o.
produkce mešních vín
Na Kopečku 1487
767 70 Kroměříž
tel: (+420) 573 336 922 prodejna
(+420) 573 336 869
fax: (+420) 573 336 869